GCERT Class 8 Social Science Semester 2 Chapter 11 Solution
Brief Information: This post contains the solution for Chapter 11 The United Nations (UN) of Class 8 Semester 2 of the Gujarat Board (GSEB) books GCERT.
Q.1 Answer the following questions.
1. What is global unity? What is the need to establish an international organization?
Ans. Global Unity means unity of nations at international level. International organization is need to maintain peace and promote cooperation at international level. It aims to prevent the destructive conflicts like World War I and World War II.
2. Under which circumstances was U.N.O. established?
Ans. UNO was established after World War II to sustain peace and promote welfare of people. Its objective to free the world from the imminent danger of wars and world wars.
3. What are the main objectives of U.N.O.?
Ans. The objective of U.N.O under its Charter are as follow:
1. To maintain international peace and safety.
2. To promote the feeling of friendship among member nations.
3. To solve economic, social, cultural and humanity related problems at international level.
4. To seek co-operation to create a feeling of respect for human rights and the fundamental right to freedom.
4. Which are the main organs of the United Nations?
Ans. The main organs of United Nations are:
International Court of Justice
Economic and Social Council
5. What is the contribution of India in the achievements of the U.N.?
Ans. India has adopted the strategy of solving the disputes with other countries through U.N. India has always contributed on a large scale to the peace keeping forces of the United Nations by sending soldiers wherever required.
Q.2 State whether the following statements are true or false. If true put a (√) sign and if false put a (X) sign.
1. ‘Veto power’ means the right of denial or to reject the decision of the Security Council.
Ans . √
2. India was not an independent nation when the League of Nations was established.
3. Vijayalakshmi Pandit of India was elected as the president of UNESCO.
4. ‘United Nations Day’ is celebrated on 26 th January every year.
5. Five countries are the permanent members in the Security Council of the United Nations.
Q.3 Write a short note on the following.
1. General Assembly
2. Security Council
3. Need for disarmament
Q.4 Find out the logo of the below mentioned organizations and either stick them or draw them in your notebook and write the full name of the organization.
Q.5 Identify the logo given below of the organizations working at international level and write down its full name
- 1. International Atomic Energy agency (IAEA)
- 2. International Maritime Organization (IMO)