GCERT Class 8 Social Science Semester 2 Chapter 1 Solution
Q.1 Answer the questions given below.
1. What kind of social evils were prevalent in our society before the independence?
Ans. Social evils like the custom of ‘dudhpiti’ (Female infanticide by immersing a new born girl child into a container full of milk), sati system (Burning of a woman on her husband’s funeral pyre), denial of widow remarriage etc were prevalent in our society before the independence.
2. What were the recommendations made by Raja Ram Mohan Roy to the British government?
Ans. Raja Ram Mohan Roy recommended many changes to the British government like the independence of press, freedom of speech, women’s rights, personal liberty, judiciary independent from executive etc.
3. What activities were carried out by the ‘Arya Samaj’ for the upliftment of the society?
Ans. Arya Samaj opposed evil customs such as idol worship, rituals, child marriage, Sati Pratha (system), untouchability etc for the upliftment of society.
4. What activities were carried out by the ‘Ram Krishna Mission’ for the upliftment of the society?
Ans. Ram Krishna Mission encouraged people for service of mankind and opened school for imparting education and hospitals for needy across the nation.
5. How did Thakkar Bapa and his followers contribute to the social reforms in Gujarat?
Ans. Thakkar Bapa established the ‘Panchmahal Bhil Seva Mandal’. He and his followers tried to reform the life Bhils who inhabited the deep forests and the hilly areas of the Panchmahal region by freeing them from the addiction of alcohol, other evil customs and superstition. They opened school for imparting education to Bhil students. They also taught the how to operate a spinning wheel to produce Khadi and encouraged them establishment of small cottage industries.
Q.2 Fill in the blanks with appropriate word.
1. Raja Ram Mohan Roy was born in Radhanagar village.
2. The law banning the practice of Sati Pratha was passed by British Governor General of Bengal, Lord William Bentinck.
3. Dayanand Saraswati wrote a book named ‘Satyarth Prakash’
4. Ramkrishna Paramhans was the Guru of Swami Vivekanand.
5. The magazine named ‘Rashta Goftar’ was started by Rahnuma-e-Mazdayasne Sabha organization.
Q.4 Match the items in column 'A' with that in column 'B'.
- 1. Brahmo Samaj – 5. Raja Ram Mohan Roy
- 2. Arya Samaj – 1. Dayanand Saraswati
- 3. Ram Krishna Mission – 4. Swami Vivekanand
- 4. Wahabi Movement – 3. Sir Saiyed Ahmed Khan and Shariatullah
- 5. Panchmahal Bhil Seva Mandal – 2. Thakkar Bapa